Monday, December 30, 2019

Red Linen Wiksten Haori (formerly Wiksten Kimono)

I made a Wiksten Haori in red linen, and it has been the hot item this holiday!


This pattern is simple, but a lovely shape that works for many people. I made this one with no lining in a heavy red linen from my stash, a piece that I've had for many years. It has proven to be a bit too heavy for a dress, but was perfect for this pattern. It is wonderfully smooth and drapey with an attractive rustic weave.

I made it without a lining, instead I faux flat felled all of the seams, except the arm seams which were difficult to flat fell, so I french seamed them. I made a facing for the sleeves so that I could turn them up without the seams showing. I used my custom pockets, which are a curved slant that goes from the collar to the side seam in one clean sweep.

This was all made in a huge rush in time for a Fiddle Orchestra concert where we were instructed to wear red. Previously the only thing red in my wardrobe was underwear ;).

I love the way this turned out, and it has proven to be a wonderful item to have in my wardrobe for the holidays-- just throw it on over any other item and one can instantly assume that I have a healthy holiday spirit.

More photos...















Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Love your red Haori!
    Isn't this just the BEST pattern?

    I made one in Black Cotton fleece (medium length) that I wear all the time.
    Getting ready to make another one in a beautiful rayon print...
    And maybe another one in a black linen blend!
    Whalt is WRONG with me? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great pattern! Such a simple shape, but it just works.

      Delete
  2. I love this red Haori on you! It suits you very well and the colors are perfect for you. Fabrics World USA is one of the Best Fabrics store in USA.We Offer you on every products good price and Best Quality guarantee.

    ReplyDelete